Well hello there!

Welcome!  I’m so glad you’re here.  I’m Susan Hawk, an agent at The Bent Agency.  I represent books written for kids: picture books, chapter books, middle grade and young adult.  Susan Says is going to be a place to talk about publishing, finding and working with an agent, how to build a career in writing.  I come from book marketing so I'll write about that too.  My clients are amazing, and I hope that they and others from around book publishing will join me here as well. 

And books, of course.  I’m cooking up a post right now about I Capture the Castle, a book that stole my heart a few years ago; a book so good that I practically weep when I think of the years that I didn’t know about it.

I want to keep things focused, but I probably won’t be able to help periodically waxing about my love for Downton Abbey or gardening or sandwiches either.

And questions! – I would love to answer your questions, so please send them my way.

See?  We have so much to talk about!

5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kelly!

    Thanks for writing in, great question! Actually, what you describe sounds fine; a supernatural thriller makes sense to me, and editors have asked me for thrillers. I don't think people will find that too far off the beaten path. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I see that you're not interested in poetry, but how about picture books written in verse - really well done pbs that have been through the critique process a few times? Also, would you be interested in humorous MG spins on fairy tales?

    Looking forward to reading more of your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Stella,

    Thanks for your comment. I am open to picture books in verse, and definitely to MG/fairy tale re-tellings!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Susan,
    I just came upon your blog, darn, too late to submit (Dec. deadline), but I really enjoy the information here and you seem like a great agent.
    So I hope to send a quirky little manuscript mid January. Until then, Happy Holidays-
    Kit Grady
    http://www.kitgrady.com

    ReplyDelete